If you’ve ever lost or had a phone or laptop stolen, it is a real hassle, not to mention a huge security risk. So, the “find my device” software is a real godsend. This software enables you to:
- track your lost device
- remotely wipe the storage if you believe that all hope of recovery of the device is gone.
But best of all if an honest person stumbles across your device and enables the “find my device” setting, it gives them the opportunity to contact you.
- Windows 10: Go to Start menu > Settings > Update & Security > Find my device, and then click Change.
- Windows 11: Go to Start menu > Settings > Privacy & security > Find my device, and click the toggle to enable it.
- Mac: Open System Preferences and then click Apple ID. Select iCloud from the sidebar and then scroll down and check the box next to Find My Mac.
- Android: Open Settings > Security & location and enable Find My Device.
- iOS: Head to Settings > [Your username] > Find My and turn on Find My iPhone.
Most importantly, the software allows you to:
- lock your device remotely
- wipe your device remotely
- cause it to make a noise to alert you
When you cause the device to make a noise this can be done two ways.
Firstly, by using another device made by the same company (iPad to find a lost iPhone) or
Secondly, via the company’s website (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS).