What is Cloud computing?
Cloud computing is a mixture of virtual servers (in the cloud) providing flexible services, applications, storage and infrastructure for multiple clients over the internet. Simply put it’s the on-demand availability of computer system resources such as data storage (cloud storage) and computing power, without the need of active management by the user.
How can Cloud Computing help with efficiency?
Cloud efficiency can look different depending on individual business needs, but to most it means having the people, policies, and technology in place in order to make the best possible use of cloud resources at minimal cost. Firstly, present-day server environments can assign resources on-demand and as required, including the powering down of physical servers automatically. Secondly, servers, desktop clients and telephony can all be virtualized, another saving of energy. In addition, end users can use thin clients for computer and telephony activity creating even more energy efficiency.
If we take a closer look, a virtual telephone system in contrast to a physical PABX phone system, reduces energy consumption along with saving energy on any cooling systems.
To emphasis again, most businesses with a presence in the cloud, cloud efficiency means making the best possible use of cloud resources at minimum cost. The way each business achieves their definition of “cloud efficiency” will vary. For instance, some businesses
- rely on the skills of their existing employees to make their operations as efficient as possible (i.e. by writing scripts)
- introduce policies to control costs
- take advantage of technology to monitor cloud activity and address issues as they arise
The best “cloud efficiency” solution is careful mix of the right distribution of people, processes, and technology to lower the Total Cost of Ownership. Businesses need the freedom to initiate, analyse, and address any issues before they appear to help maintain a secure environment in which assets, data, and the network are all safely guarded.
Importantly, all Businesses need to answer these 3 questions –
- what resources are being used?
- how they are being used?
- when they are being used
How Rock IT Helps You Maintain a Secure Environment
Rock IT also offers an amazing policy engine solution that is totally hands free when it comes to its management. It can
- advise you when costs are projected to go above budget
- let you know when resources are being underutilized
- tell when further cloud efficiency can be achieved (for example- modifying or exchanging Convertible Reserved Instances.
This is achieved by constantly monitoring your cloud environments for
- security risks
and based on your policies take a predetermined course of action if a threat is identified
It can also make suggestions on a course of action to address a threat
To clarify, the Rock IT Cloud benefits are;
- maximises financial cloud efficiency by optimizing your cloud environment for cost and performance
- protects your business’s assets minimizes risks
- defends against threats
- prevents inadvertent misconfigurations by identifying suspicious activity
- obtains context around security incidents
- provides remediation steps to successfully address the evolving threat landscape while achieving cloud efficiency.
In conclusion, cloud computing efficiency saves time, security, money and our energy resources which is great news for our environment.